How to Prevent a House Fire
Damage caused by a fire can be extremely devastating for your family and home. By being prepared and taking essential precautions, such as regular safety checks, you can drastically reduce your chances of suffering the losses that come with fire damage.
Make sure to test your smoke alarms at least every 6 months and to change the batteries as needed. Don’t ignore a “chirp”—if your smoke detector is chirping, the battery should be changed immediately to ensure it functions properly in case of a fire.
Make sure to inspect heating devices in your home. Whether you have a forced air furnace or use space heaters, it is important to ensure that they are functioning properly to avoid a possible fire. This means changing filters or discarding heaters with damaged wires. In addition, your risk for a fire can be reduced substantially with yearly inspections.
Always be sure that nothing flammable is on or near your oven or stove top, such as curtains, potholders, rags, or paper towels. Also never leave burners unattended while you are cooking, as this is a leading cause of house fires. If you must leave the room, remove the pot or pan from the heating source and turn it off.
It is important to keep the lint trap on your dryer clean, as it can be a possible fuel source for an impending fire. For the same reason, make sure to check behind the dryer for stray lint or objects that may have fallen. Also, if you have a gas dryer, it is helpful to have it inspected once a year to ensure all connections are secure.
Always be aware of where cords are plugged in and that they are being used properly—this means not overloading outlets or power strips with too many electrical devices. Also watch out for any damaged wires and repair or replace them as needed. And remember, because electrical cords can produce heat, do not cover them with anything, such as with rugs or furniture.
For more information, please contact SERVPRO Davenport/Bettendorf at 563-386-3540.