What you need to know about electrical fires
As we are thrust into the colder months, the amount of time spent indoors increases significantly. As a result of this, more appliances are generated. Many light and heat sources are utilized for both warmth and for holiday decor. During this time of the year, it is no surprise that heating and electric bills rise. However, the risk of an electrical fire rises as well. December and January are the peak months for electrical fires.
According to the National Fire Protection Association report, US Fire departments respond to approximately 48,000 electrical-related fires annually. The cause of these fires may be due to faulty circuits, overloaded outlets, or electrical failures. Further research cited that 74 percent of residential fires were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction which contributed to the ignition.
Avoid these electrical fires by following these safety precautions:
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets. Consider having additional outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tipping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.