Summer is the season when lightning is most prevalent, though it can actually strike any time of year. Lightning strikes in the United States about 25 million times every year. Though rare, lightning strikes to humans can be fatal. On average, about 47 people are killed by lightning strikes every year, while hundreds more are left seriously injured.
As we enter the lightning season, it is important to know how best to stay safe. Below is a list of tips that will help you avoid injury or even death:
- Avoid open spaces during a thunderstorm
- Avoid metal structures just as fences or even electrical wiring
- Avoid trees, metal towers, and utility polls
- Try to stay indoors if possible
- Even though the skit may look clear, that doesn’t mean you are safe from lightning. If you hear thunder, you can be struck by lightning