Being Prepared for Floods
We are approaching the 2-year anniversary of the enormous floods that came through the Quad Cities and devastated so many downtown businesses in 2019. With firsthand knowledge of how detrimental floods can be, our community should be proactive about having a plan in place and we’re here to help!
Follow these tips to be prepared in the event of a flood:
- Review your flood and homeowner’s insurance policy and ensure it is in effect.
- Regularly check your sump pump and make sure it is functioning properly.
- Know where all of your hazardous materials are – it’s best to have them on higher ground.
- In an emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Know where shut-offs are ahead of time. If an advanced flood warning is issued, turn off utilities at the main switches or valves, if instructed to do so. Disconnect electrical equipment and appliances. (DO NOT touch electrical equipment if you are wet and DO NOT walk-through water)
- In the event of a flood warning, move vehicles to safer areas (DO NOT drive through standing water) and raise elevators from the bottom floor.
- Train your employees ahead of a flood event
It’s important to review these plans annually and ensure that nothing has changed. It is not possible to be too prepared. If you do not have a plan in place, SERVPRO offers Emergency Ready Profiles as a free tool to help Quad Cities and Muscatine businesses be prepared for whatever happens. Call our team and we will come out and create a plan for you.
SERVPRO of Davenport/Bettendorf | (563)386-3540
SERVPRO of Moline/Rock Island | (309)797-1199
SERVPRO of Muscatine | (563)264-8661