Doors Open or Shut While Sleeping, That is the Question.
Do you close your bedroom doors when sleeping?
Do you feel safer with your bedroom door shut or open while sleeping, which one do you think is safer? Some feel safer with it open because they can hear the smoke alarm; on the other hand, others feel safer with it closed; because they feel it would give them more time. Well, if you thought it was safer to sleep with your door open, you would be wrong! In case of a fire, a closed-door can actually help be a barrier against the levels of carbon monoxide, smoke, and flames.
Reasons, why you should sleep with your door, closed
- Fires are getting faster; we use to have 17 minutes to escape if there was a fire, now we are down to about 3 minutes.
- Closing the door buys you time
- Closed doors act as a barrier; helps slow down the spread
- Firefighters have changed their ways of approaching a burning home or building.
Some tips and precautions to consider to be safe and prepared.
- Create and practice a fire escape plan
- Check your smoke detectors
- Remember they do expire
- Smoke contains many gases that reduce oxygen in the air and can cause disorientation. So, keep those doors shut while sleeping.
If a fire disaster happens, call the professionals. SERVPRO of the Quad Cities offers full-service capabilities 24/7. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Davenport/Bettendorf | (563)386-3540
SERVPRO of Moline/Rock Island | (309)797-1199
SERVPRO of Muscatine | (563)264-8661