Heatwaves can occur almost anywhere in the country. The best way to overcome heat is to be prepared. Here are 10 tips to help you stay cool and be prepared when a heatwave strikes.
- Find the coolest area of your home. Basements are the coolest because heat rises.
- Drink more beverages. Even if you are not thirsty. However, stay away from hot drinks, and alcoholic beverages
- Avoid eating protein-rich meals. Your body heat will increase as a result of the increased metabolic rate. Eat lighter and more frequent meals
- Take a cool bath or shower. They should be right below the body’s temperature. Cold showers are not a good idea because they will make your body generate heat.
- Wear light-colored loose clothes. Avoid dark colors, they absorb the heat rather than reflect like light colors
- Avoid exercise and strenuous heat. If you must do, choose to do so in the early morning or evenings when its cooler
- Place ice cubes or run cold water on your pulse points. Do this every couple of hours to help cool yourself off. Your pulse points are areas on your body where blood circulates close to the skin.
- Spritz yourself with water and stay in front of a fan, in that water evaporates from your body to cool off.
- Unplug appliances or electronics you are not using. Electronics such as tv can consume electricity that converts into heat.
- Don’t forget that pets can be affected by heat. Don’t forget about your fur babies. Symptoms of heatstroke in animals: hot skin, wide eyes, excessive drooling, twitching muscles, and sometimes vomiting.
Proper ventilation is almost as important to maintain a comfortable temperature. Stay safe, cool, and know that SERVPRO of Quad Cities is here for you. "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Davenport/Bettendorf | (563)386-3540
SERVPRO of Moline/Rock Island | (309)797-1199
SERVPRO of Muscatine | (563)264-8661